I don't usually start off topic threads but I know there are several pro-sound guys here who probably know the answer to this question. It's about using equalizers so hopefully the answer will be relevant/useful when using a graphic EQ to equalize Altec speakers as well so only partly off topic?
Anyway, we just finished mixing by (rock) band's new CD (12 new original songs). It was mixed on my Model 19's and I've been doing playbacks on the 19's, 14's, Santana II's, boombox, car stereo, computer speakers etc. to make sure that all 12 songs sound good everywhere I play them. Well, the bass is a little low on a couple of songs (bass guitar and kick drum) and it's a little too loud on one song. I'm going to a local studio tomorrow night to have the CD mastered. I know it's customary in the mastering process to adjust not only the dynamics, but also the EQ of each song as needed. So, I've been experimenting here at home with the EQ on the three songs in question (which are now mixed down to 2 track stereo on conventional CDR's). I have an Alesis MEQ 230 which has 2 complete 30 band 1/3 octave equalizers. For the two songs where the bass is a little low, I've tried adding +2 dB simultaneously at 80, 100, and 125 hz and it seems to be just right. My question is, when I'm at the local studio tomorrow night for the mastering session, the engineer will be using Pro Tools and possibly T Racks (both digital computer programs). I'll ask him to add bass to the two songs that need it. He'll be "drawing" a curve on the computer and I'm going to tell him that I like the way the two songs sound with 2 db added simultaneously at 80 hz, 100 hz, and 125 hz. My question is, when I'm adding two db at these three frequencies with my analog Alesis MEQ 230, is there a cumulative effect? By setting the Alesis EQ sliders to + 2 db at 80, 100, and 125 hz are the 80 and 125 overlapping enough on the 100 that I'm really adding more like + 3 or + 4 db at 100 hz? Is there likely this type of overlap/cumulative effect? In other words, will the engineer tomorrow who will be trying to duplicate this analog EQ effect with his digital EQ computer programs be drawing a straight line +2 dB from 80 to 125 hz which tapers down below 80 and above 125 hz or will he be "drawing" a "hump" that is + 2 dB at 80 but more like + 3 or + 4 at 100 and then + 2 at 125? That's the best job I can do phrasing this question. Can anyone help me with an answer before my mastering session tomorrow (Tuesday) evening? BTW, the engineer may know the answer to this question (or he may have an educated guess) but I'd feel a lot safer getting the answer from a pro(s) here. On the same topic, for the one song where there's too much bass and kick drum, if I set the Alesis MEQ 230 for -2 db at 40, 50, 63, and 80 hz simultaneously--is there similar overlap? By doing this am I really subtracting 2 dB at 40 and 80 hz but more like 3 or 4 dB at 50 and 63 hz?
Here's a little more info on the Alesis MEQ 230 that I'm using at home (analog graphic EQ) that the engineer tomorrow will hopefully be able to mimic the effect with his digital computer EQ program.
Each channel features 30 bands of 1/3rd octave equalization with
ANSI and ISO standard center frequencies. Each band is
adjusted by a center detented fader with ?12dB of gain available,
and a master fader controls system gain for that channel.
LINK FOR MANUAL/SPECS:
http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentm...230_manual.pdf







Bookmarks